Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Love

I have decided to be in love with my hair.  Actually, I made this decision a few months back.  Even though I went natural, I was still trying to "train" my hair.  I still found it hard to manage because I had yet to discover what worked for me even though I figured it out for everybody else.  I was still concerned that I would not be accepted at work or that I would get funny looks from my patients.
It didn't matter that my husband encouraged me to stop relaxing my hair.  I didn't notice that I got more hungry looks from him when my "nappy" hair was freshly washed and out in its full glory.  I could have cared less that my 3 year old son would happily touch my hair more and comment with more wonder and amazement than I have ever heard from him.
I just didn't care.
At some point, my hard to manage hair became my only obession.  I began to treat it very gently, like a newborn baby.  I have always been able to grow my hair out but now it was beginning to thrive.  The nicer I was to it, the easier it became for me to tame it.  And suddenly, I didn't want to tame it.  I wanted it wild and free.  I wanted all the kinks and coils to be noticed and I wanted every one to see how proud I was of it.


I am in love with my natural hair.  I will never treat it badly again.  I will treat it with kid gloves and be excited with every minute of it.  I will continue to use natural products and do only things that will allow it to be happy and free.

 If you are happy with your natural hair, let me know.  If not, why not?

No comments:

Post a Comment